Friday, January 13, 2006

Things You'll Learn To Love About Me

True Facts About Me


  • I am an old soul with a young heart who is trapped in a middle-aged body.
  • I stage managed Valguse Poik for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The play was written by the Cultural Minister of Estonia.
  • I performed selected scenes from a new work by Edward Albee. Afterward, I dined with Mr. Albee as he critiqued both our performance and our interpretation of the text (favorably, I might add!).
  • I love rare and raw foods -- sushi, carpaccio, steak tartare, seared tuna.
  • I climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia.
  • I informed Michael Crawford (the original Phantom in Phantom of the Opera) that I would be playing the role of Christine Daae in a couple of years. Ummm... yeah... I never performed on Broadway and only dream of being a coloratura soprano. Oh to be 18 and fearless again!
  • I lived in London for 3 months in 1979 while my father was on sabbatical from the University of Pittsburgh.
  • I've gone for a flight on the Millennium Eye.
  • I have been to Paris four times in my life: when I was 10, 24, 27 and 36.
  • I am the only student in the history of Ohio Northern University to direct a mainstage musical.
  • I applied to be on The Apprentice: Season 5.
  • I am a mathematics moron without Excel. The highest level of mathematics that I took was 1/2 a year of Algebra II. Twice.
  • I bleached my hair blonde for the role of Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors.
  • I broke my collarbone twice (climbed out of crib and rolled off changing table), my arm once (fell off bicycle) and my foot once (fell off balance beam).
  • I am petrified of rats. I, like Professor Henry Jones, would have never made if past the rats.
  • I received a telephone call from Robert DeNiro when I was 18.
  • I won the Carver Middle School Typist of the Year award when I was in 8th grade.
  • I am married to a man who survived necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh-eating bacteria.
  • I hate feet.
  • I have never been to Los Angeles.
  • I like virtually all foods and will try anything once. As a result, I have learned that I do not like passion fruit, mangos, yams or sea urchin. And because I once ate too much plaki, I absolutely cannot stomach the taste of fresh parsley (which also ruined tabouleh for me).
  • I had teenage crushes on Donny Osmond, Shaun Cassidy, Erik Estrada, Rex Smith, Rick Springfield and Simon LeBon.
  • I am a former smoker. I started when I was 14 and quit 12 years later.
  • I interviewed Tim Daggett, Olympic gold medalist, for my high school paper.
  • I played Dr. VanHelsing in a high school production of Dracula opposite one of the writers from Seinfeld. Wonder if he remembers me...
  • I was in a sorority when I was in college. (Delta Zeta for those Greeks that are curious)
  • I am a New Year's baby.
  • I didn't lose my virginity until I was 25.
  • I soared above Hunter Valley vineyards in Australia in a hot air balloon.
  • I have been to two Women's NCAA Final Four Championship games - St. Louis and San Antonio. Go UConn!
  • I had an emergency appendectomy one week after the birth of my eldest daughter.
  • I wrote a "coming of age" novel when I was 17.
  • The first concert I attended was in 1990 at the Broward Country Fair - Rick Springfield.
  • I think the process of growing bangs out has to be one of the most irritating, frustrating and humiliating things to endure.
  • Whenever I order a sandwich, I am compelled to reconstruct it so that all of the accompaniments (e.g. lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, etc.) are evenly distributed across the sandwich.
  • My favorite drink from Starbucks is an iced Caramel Macchiato with extra caramel drizzle. On tired days it's a triple and on cold days... it's still iced.
  • I have flat feet.
  • I have known three people who have died by gunshot - two homicides, one suicide.
  • I wear glasses/contacts. I am VERY nearsighted.
  • I can do calligraphy.
  • I worked at a video store with Dennis Dunaway, original bassist for Alice Cooper.
  • I hate the telephone. Please don't call me, unless you really need to. E-mail me, IM, snail mail me... But don't make me make small talk.
  • I am thought of as a Martha Stewart of sorts... I should've applied for that version of The Apprentice - before she and Donald had their falling out.
  • I am not good at New Year's Resolutions - so I try not to make them.
  • My parents were divorced when I was 6. My sister and I were raised by our father in the 70s, during a time when dads didn't get custody.
  • I am the mother of three girls, including twins. And, no, twins don't run in our family!

5 comments:

David Anaxagoras said...

You know, "Things You'll Learn to Love about Me" would be an excellent title for your blog.

Welcome to the scribosphere!

oneslackmartian said...

Hey, you can't drop a preview like "I received a telephone call from Robert DeNiro when I was 18" without giving us the FULL STORY!

Alicia said...

I will do that. Some time this week - I promise.

The Moviequill said...

yep, I want to hear more abour De Niro too

Alicia said...

Chomp, chomp, chomp... Is that the sound of you at the bit?

Will post tomorrow - I promise. All the kids are back to school.