Friday, January 13, 2006

Things You'll Learn To Love About Me

True Facts About Me


  • I am an old soul with a young heart who is trapped in a middle-aged body.
  • I stage managed Valguse Poik for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The play was written by the Cultural Minister of Estonia.
  • I performed selected scenes from a new work by Edward Albee. Afterward, I dined with Mr. Albee as he critiqued both our performance and our interpretation of the text (favorably, I might add!).
  • I love rare and raw foods -- sushi, carpaccio, steak tartare, seared tuna.
  • I climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia.
  • I informed Michael Crawford (the original Phantom in Phantom of the Opera) that I would be playing the role of Christine Daae in a couple of years. Ummm... yeah... I never performed on Broadway and only dream of being a coloratura soprano. Oh to be 18 and fearless again!
  • I lived in London for 3 months in 1979 while my father was on sabbatical from the University of Pittsburgh.
  • I've gone for a flight on the Millennium Eye.
  • I have been to Paris four times in my life: when I was 10, 24, 27 and 36.
  • I am the only student in the history of Ohio Northern University to direct a mainstage musical.
  • I applied to be on The Apprentice: Season 5.
  • I am a mathematics moron without Excel. The highest level of mathematics that I took was 1/2 a year of Algebra II. Twice.
  • I bleached my hair blonde for the role of Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors.
  • I broke my collarbone twice (climbed out of crib and rolled off changing table), my arm once (fell off bicycle) and my foot once (fell off balance beam).
  • I am petrified of rats. I, like Professor Henry Jones, would have never made if past the rats.
  • I received a telephone call from Robert DeNiro when I was 18.
  • I won the Carver Middle School Typist of the Year award when I was in 8th grade.
  • I am married to a man who survived necrotizing fasciitis, otherwise known as flesh-eating bacteria.
  • I hate feet.
  • I have never been to Los Angeles.
  • I like virtually all foods and will try anything once. As a result, I have learned that I do not like passion fruit, mangos, yams or sea urchin. And because I once ate too much plaki, I absolutely cannot stomach the taste of fresh parsley (which also ruined tabouleh for me).
  • I had teenage crushes on Donny Osmond, Shaun Cassidy, Erik Estrada, Rex Smith, Rick Springfield and Simon LeBon.
  • I am a former smoker. I started when I was 14 and quit 12 years later.
  • I interviewed Tim Daggett, Olympic gold medalist, for my high school paper.
  • I played Dr. VanHelsing in a high school production of Dracula opposite one of the writers from Seinfeld. Wonder if he remembers me...
  • I was in a sorority when I was in college. (Delta Zeta for those Greeks that are curious)
  • I am a New Year's baby.
  • I didn't lose my virginity until I was 25.
  • I soared above Hunter Valley vineyards in Australia in a hot air balloon.
  • I have been to two Women's NCAA Final Four Championship games - St. Louis and San Antonio. Go UConn!
  • I had an emergency appendectomy one week after the birth of my eldest daughter.
  • I wrote a "coming of age" novel when I was 17.
  • The first concert I attended was in 1990 at the Broward Country Fair - Rick Springfield.
  • I think the process of growing bangs out has to be one of the most irritating, frustrating and humiliating things to endure.
  • Whenever I order a sandwich, I am compelled to reconstruct it so that all of the accompaniments (e.g. lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, etc.) are evenly distributed across the sandwich.
  • My favorite drink from Starbucks is an iced Caramel Macchiato with extra caramel drizzle. On tired days it's a triple and on cold days... it's still iced.
  • I have flat feet.
  • I have known three people who have died by gunshot - two homicides, one suicide.
  • I wear glasses/contacts. I am VERY nearsighted.
  • I can do calligraphy.
  • I worked at a video store with Dennis Dunaway, original bassist for Alice Cooper.
  • I hate the telephone. Please don't call me, unless you really need to. E-mail me, IM, snail mail me... But don't make me make small talk.
  • I am thought of as a Martha Stewart of sorts... I should've applied for that version of The Apprentice - before she and Donald had their falling out.
  • I am not good at New Year's Resolutions - so I try not to make them.
  • My parents were divorced when I was 6. My sister and I were raised by our father in the 70s, during a time when dads didn't get custody.
  • I am the mother of three girls, including twins. And, no, twins don't run in our family!

5 comments:

David Anaxagoras said...

You know, "Things You'll Learn to Love about Me" would be an excellent title for your blog.

Welcome to the scribosphere!

Adam Renfro said...

Hey, you can't drop a preview like "I received a telephone call from Robert DeNiro when I was 18" without giving us the FULL STORY!

Alicia said...

I will do that. Some time this week - I promise.

Anonymous said...

yep, I want to hear more abour De Niro too

Alicia said...

Chomp, chomp, chomp... Is that the sound of you at the bit?

Will post tomorrow - I promise. All the kids are back to school.