Friday, December 21, 2007

My Lifelong "How Many Have You Seen?"

I was born in the late 60s when bohemian artist lifestyles were abundant. As such, from very early on I was exposed to art in various forms. I was fortunate enough to be raised under the roof of a Theatre/English professor, so my proclivity lies with the dramatic and literary arts. Living in a house filled with play scripts and Broadway soundtracks, it only makes sense that theatre became a foundational part of who I am.

Over the past four decades I have had the great fortune to see many shows. So I thought I'd take the "How many have you seen?" section of the Playbill a tad further and share my personal, lifelong version. I'll also share how many times I've seen it, provide a rating and perhaps a comment or two. It is a bit of a brag board, I suppose. But also a way to share my opinion with those who find value in it.

For the time being, I will include only Broadway and West End shows, with a smattering of smaller NY/London shows. I should think this a very fine place to start. And then we'll see where it goes from there.

CURRENTLY PLAYING

  • Avenue Q (1x, 3/5) Okay - this is definitely a fun and edgy show but I think I saw it to0 far into the run, so I wasn't as surprised by it.
  • Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (1x, 5/5) Snarky and irreverent with a catchy score, clever book and a sassy cast. Can't wait to see it again!
  • Dirty Dancing (1x, 2/5) UGH! I loved the movie but didn't love the musical. Probably more fun to be in than to watch. But I'm not sure.
  • Hair (2x, 5/5)
  • In The Heights (1x, 4/5)
  • La Cage Aux Folles (1x, 4.5/5)
  • Mamma Mia! (2x, 4/5) I had so much fun at this show. I love ABBA and look forward to this one being on the community theatre circuit. And in the cinema!
  • Next to Normal (2x, 5/5) A rock musical that defies all convention with a story so riveting it was honored by a Pulitzer.
  • Sondheim on Sondheim (1x, 3.5/5) The performances were enjoyable but the video content featuring Sondheim himself was better. Loved Euan Morton singing "Franklin Shepherd, Inc."
  • The Kid (4.5/5) Based on Dan Savage's book about when he and his partner adopted a baby. The cast, led by Christopher Sieber, was superb and the story equal parts amusing and touching.
  • The Lion King (1x, 5/5) I know purists aren't fans of Disney but Julie Taymor's production is visionary and magical. I'm saving the second time for the kids.
  • The Phantom of the Opera (2x, 4/5) Laugh as ye may, Andrew Lloyd Webber is still around. And this one is lush and romantic and delights old and young alike.
  • Wicked (2x, 5/5) I'm a long-time fan of Stephen Schwartz and this extravagant version of the novel of the same title doesn't disappoint.

PAST THEATRE OUTINGS

  • 110 In The Shade - 2007 Revival (1x, 5/5) Absolutely amazing! I will forevermore make a point of seeing anything Audra McDonald is in. Period. The end.
  • A Chorus Line - Original (2x, 5/5) A show that I saw in the West End when I was 10 and on Broadway when I was 17. Quintessential musical theatre.
  • A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - 1996 Revival (2x, 3/5) I saw this with both Nathan Lane and Whoopi Goldberg as Psuedolus. I worked lights for this show in college and my husband played Hysterium in an am-dram production. Basically, I've had my fill of this play that I never really took a liking to.
  • A Streetcar Named Desire - 1992 Revival (1x, 3.5/5) The acting by Alex Baldwin, Jessica Lange and Amy Madigan was not as good as I wanted it to be.
  • A View From The Bridge - 1997 Revival (1x, 3/5) Anthony Lapaglia started the play shouting and had nowhere to go. That's what I remember the most from that one.
  • Aida (2x, 4.5/5) Elton John's music and the tragic story will always make this one a favorite.
  • Amadeus - 1999 Revival (1x, 4/5)
  • Annie (1x, 4/5) First professional production ever, in London's West End.
  • August: Osage County (2x, 5/5) Without a doubt one of the most riveting three hours I've ever spent in the theatre. A wonderful script, flawlessly performed. Don't miss it!
  • Beauty and the Beast (2x, 4/5)
  • Big River - 2003 Revival (1x, 4.5/5) This was such a beautiful and innovative production.
  • Blood Brothers (1x, 4/5) I was so pleasantly surprised by this show.
  • Cats - Original (2x, 3.5/5) I had high expectations. But it has its place in the history of musical theatre.
  • City of Angels (1x, 3/5) My date fell asleep. Technically amazing.
  • Company (1x, 3/5) Loved the instruments onstage. Made me a fan of Raul Esparza.
  • Crazy for You (2x, 4/5) Fun, fun, fun!
  • Cry Baby (1x, 2/5) I left feeling entertained but wondered if there was really a story worth telling there. The answer? Not really.
  • Cuba & His Teddy Bear (3x, 4/5) Mediocre play with A+ cast. Met Robert DeNiro after the show and subsequently discovered that he called my house looking for me.
  • Cyrano de Bergerac (1x, 4/5) Wordy (as one would expect), lavish and well-acted.
  • Damn Yankees - 1994 Revival (2x, 4/5) Victor Garber and Bebe Neuwirth were amazing, Jerry Lewis and Charlotte Damboise were not.
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1x, 4/5) Lots of fun. I love the movie/story and David Yazbek. And I finally got to see Norbert, since I missed him in Wicked.
  • Footloose (1x, 3/5) I had a good time.
  • Grease - 1994 Revival (1x, 3/5) Xena: Warrior Princess at Rizzo!
  • Godspell - Lamb's Theatre (1x, 4/5) Very authentic, hippie interpretation.
  • Grand Hotel (1x, 3/5) Ho hum... But got to hang out backstage with John Schneider, who I had a childhood crush on. 'Course didn't know it was him until after the fact. DOH!
  • Hair - 1994 West End, 2007 Delacorte (2x, 4.5/5) Love the show and loved BOTH productions. Though I've yet to see something that supercedes my personal vision
  • Hairspray (1x, 3.5/5) I didn't see this until Feb 2008, when shows tend to go into auto-pilot. I liked the play better than the movie but neither really "blew me away".
  • Hamlet - (1x, 3.5/5) The 2008 Shakespeare in the Park offering kept me engaged longer than most versions I've seen. But I'm still not a Shakespeare fan.
  • Indiscretions (1x, 2/5) Hated it. Kathleen Turney was terrible. The sets were cool and Jude Law was naked. Otherwise I would have given it only 1 star.
  • Into The Woods - OBC Concert (1x, 4/5) Glad I saw it.
  • Jelly's Last Jam (1x, 4/5) This was when I got to meet Ben Vereen, so it was pretty special.
  • Jesus Christ Superstar (1x, 3/5) Too young to appreciate it.
  • Kiss of the Spiderwoman (3x, 5/5) Chita Rivera was amazing, Maria Conchita Alonso was not. I also got to see an early Brian Stokes Mitchell in this.
  • Les Miserables (4x, 5/5) Classic.
  • M. Butterfly (1x, 3.5/5) I just remember it being long. But John Lithgow is amazing, I got to go to his dressing room and he wrote something cool on my Playbill.
  • Merrily We Roll Along (1x, 3/5) I love the score and the story and still think Merrily has potential yet to be propertly recognized. John Doyle directed this production at The Watermill with instruments. To answer your question: yes, they got in the way.
  • Miss Saigon (2x, 4/5) I rushed to see this the first time. It was worth the wait.
  • Parade - 2007 Donmar Production (1x, 4.5/5) Missed this on Broadway so I was glad to see this production in the intimate Donmar space.
  • Port Authority - 2008 Atlantic Production (1x, 5/5) Three of theatre's finest actors performing Conor McPherson's beautiful words. Bliss.
  • Peter Pan (1x, 3.5/5) On a whim. Revival is much more lively than the Mary Martin version.
  • Prelude to a Kiss - 2007 Revival (3.5/5) Didn't blow me away but it was a nice night out.
  • Ragtime (1x, 3/5) Didn't leave an impression on me.
  • Rent (3x, 5/5) One of the few plays that has moved me to tears. The immediacy of the live performance far surpasses the film.
  • Rock 'n' Roll (1x, 3.5/5) OK - my head hurt after this one. It was brilliantly acted and had some nice scenes but I didn't feel particularly engaged.
  • Spamalot (1x, 4/5) Strike me dead for saying so but I am not a Monty Python fan. HOWEVER - I thought Spamalot was quite funny and had some great performances.
  • Spring Awakening (10x, 5/5) Never before have I experienced this kind of energy and connection in a production. It is visceral, haunting and timeless and serves as a great launching pad for some of today's best young talent.
  • The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (1x, 4/5) William Finn's music is exquisite. And his characters deftly guide you through a very fun evening.
  • The Apple Tree - 2007 Revival (1x, 3/5) And now I'm officially bored with Kristen Chenoweth onstage.
  • The Black Suits - (1x, 4/5) My love affair with Iconis' music and the stupendously talented performers that brought Suits to life at the SPF overshadowed its minor flaws.
  • The Fantasticks - Original (3x, 5/5) Another classic. Simplicity begets elegance.
  • The Farnsworth Invention (1x, 3/5) Can't decide if it wants to be a play or a film. Lots of exposition, adequate acting and lazy writing with a big "so what?" at the end.
  • The Foreigner - 2004 Revival (1x, 4/5) Great cast! Matthew Broderick does well in those intimate spaces.
  • The Life (1x, 3/5) I vaguely remember Sam Harris in this.
  • The Odd Couple (1x, 3.5/5) They raved. Then they stopped raving. I expected mediocrity. And was pleasantly surprised.
  • The Pillowman (1x, 5/5) Amazing play. Disturbing, haunting and lyrical. Billy Crudup is a great actor.
  • The Producers (2x, 4/5) I liked it but wish I liked it more.
  • The Red Shoes (1x, 1/5) I'm guessing the book was better because the stage adaptation wasnt.
  • The Vertical Hour (2x, 3/5) It's like the play that kind of went there but not really. Julianne Moore was decent and Bill Nighy was great.
  • Secret Garden (1x, 4/5) This was a beautiful play and Daisy Eagan was delightful.
  • Some Men (1x, 4/5) Great cast but not McNally's best script. He's done poignant better.
  • Tommy (3x, 4/5) Gotta love a rock musical!
  • Will Rogers Follies (1x, 3/5) Hokey but entertaining.
  • Xanadu (1x, 3.5/5) This musical film parody is so much fun with some powerhouse performances - most notably Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman.

2 comments:

Esther said...

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about "Rock 'n' Roll." I was really looking forward to it, but I just didn't feel engaged by the characters or the story. It was too episodic. I never got a strong feeling for why Max became a Communist or what Jan's life was like under a totalitarian regime. (He seemed pretty much the same before prison as he did after prison). And I don't think Stoppard even made a very effective use of rock music.

But I felt the same kind of energy in "Spring Awakening." I could only imagine that people who saw "Hair" on Broadway must have felt the same way.

And I also loved "110 in the Shade." It was my first time seeing Audra McDonald. What a revelation. She has such an unbelievably gorgeous voice.

I saw "The 39 Steps" in Boston on its pre-Broadway tryout and I loved it. What a hilarious, inspired show. They really do a great job of retelling the movie. It's just brilliant.

And I highly, highly recommend "August: Osage County." I was just riveted. It's so emotional and true-to-life, and has some very witty, pointed dialogue.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Alicia, I happened upon your site after you left a comment on Gratuitous Violins.

Enjoyed reading this particular post, but was struck that you and I both took in our first professional stage show in London, and for both of us, it was Annie. What a wild coincidence. It's what got me hooked on live theatre.

Just curious to know if you had the opportunity to see it with Sheila Hancock as Miss Hannigan? She took my breath away, and I still remember her 29 year later!

Cheers!