Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tesori's Violet Headed to NYU's Stage


This past Sunday, I attended the final performance of Joe Iconis' The Black Suits at SPF/The Public (full-throttle review is forthcoming). As if the sheer excitation of being at a fully realized Iconis production wasn't enough, I was thrilled to see this little bit of information tacked on to the end of John Simpkins' bio:

Violet is a wonderful, obscure little show written by Jeanine Tesori (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Caroline, or Change and Shrek). I've been a fan of Violet for several years and am over the moon that it will be directed, no doubt with great aplomb, at NYU next year.


Simpkins, who seems to be exclusively at the helm of Iconis' shows, is someone whose work I was introduced to in the summer of 2006 before I ever heard the name Iconis. When it comes to selecting directing projects, I don't think a more like-minded person exists. The primary difference, of course, if that NYU actually produces them whilst I am relegated to directing shows considered safe for community theatres. But that is a lament for another day...

In the meantime, as I bemoan the plight of community theatre, I'll await the onsale date for NYU's Violet. I will also keep my fingers crossed for the announcement that John will continue the trend of directing shows from my short list by including Bare in Steinhardt's 2009-2010 academic year.

No comments: