Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Summer of Iconis Continues @ Theatreworks USA

Ummm... Go see this. Why? Because it's free. Because Matt Lauer is Honorary Chair. Because it gets children to the theatre. Because it has some wickedly talented people in it.

And because the music, lyrics and book are by Joe Iconis. DUH! I've only been telling you about him forever. I don't understand why you haven't been to one of his shows yet. And this, my friend, is the perfect opportunity to get to one! This free offering by Theatreworks USA is a palatable little nibble of Iconis that will definitely leave you craving more.

The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks is based on a series of children's books by Nancy McArthur about a plant that eats... well... socks. In preparation for our family outing to NYC, I've actually been reading the book with my girls. We're only on Chapter 9 but it essentially seems to be a less gory version of Little Shop of Horrors. It is definitely a charming way to introduce kids to (1) musical theatre and (2) Joe Iconis. This morning, whilst looking at the book cover, my eldest was actually singing from the show. Yes, I've taught her well!

But maybe sock-eating plants are not your thing. For those that prefer their Iconis bloodier (and with a cocktail), go see this:



Or this:


You will not be disappointed. And you will thank me.
================================================
Ticket Info:

No comments: