Friday, July 18, 2008

Plugging In To The Battery's Down


I have a new theatre geek addiction. Sometimes, and this is one of those times, you feel the need to share. It is called The Battery's Down. It is hil-FREAKIN'-larious! And if you're a theatre person, especially of the acting variety, you'll love it!

I had heard about it when it launched back in February (yes, I know, I'm late jumping on the bandwagon). Knowing it was up my alley, I kept meaning to watch it but had never gotten around to it. In Episode 6, however, a friend of mine had a cameo so I finally dragged my lazy fingers over the keyboard to type: www.thebatterysdown.com to finally check it out.




Lovable, guy-next-door actor Jake Wilson has created an online series in the vain of [title of show] and Cubby Bernstein in which he details the trials and tribulations of the young New York actor. Featuring viral marketing veterans Cheyenne Jackson and Jonathan Groff, among others, the series is a great showcase for some of musical theatre's brightest up and coming talent.

The multitalented Wilson directs, choreographs, writes and stars in the series and has assembled an excellent supporting cast, including a few fellow University of Michigan alums. The music, both clever and catchy, features the work of Pasek & Paul, Salzman & Cunningham and Ryan Scott Oliver. My favorite, so far, is Oliver & Guenther's "This Is Your Life", which is a sort of theatrical "La Vie Boheme". A close runner-up is Salzman & Cunningham's "You Should Be In That", featured in Episode 3. Oh, yes, I've had conversations that were frightening similar to the one featured in this song... I suppose most theatre folks have.

So if you're in need of a quick 20 minute dose of clever comedy targeted to musical theatre types, head on over to the show's Web site or check it out on YouTube. You'll laugh your leg warmers off!


=====================================
Episodes are released on the first day of each month at 12:01am.

=====================================

No comments: