Saturday, February 23, 2008

Kerry Butler's Replacement?


You know, you can be having a perfectly crappy week and then "BAM!" something happens that just makes you smile. It is the "theory of convergence" in action. I recently had such a moment that I think will bring a chuckle to film and musical theatre enthusiasts alike.

Not too long ago my three daughters discovered how to use the iMovie feature on our Mac. On occasion, I like to review these clips to see just what exactly they are digitally capturing for all eternity. Since yesterday was a snow day, the four of us were huddled around the computer reviewing their recent entries and I happened upon this clip.

It begins with "Come here, sisters, everybody gather around!" Since my eldest is your typical Type A personality, this is not an uncommon thing to hear. As my tutu-clad youngest chimes in I realized that what I was watching was the opening scene from Xanadu on Broadway. About a month ago, I took my oldest to see it and she has since become a fan. Of course, I had no idea how much of the show she had actually retained until now.

For those of you in need of a quick Xanadu refresher before watching, I'll help you out. In the film's opening scene, a chalk mural of Greek muses comes to life to the disco beat of ELO's "
I'm Alive". In the theatrical adaptation, a Venice artist, Sonny (Cheyenne Jackson), is working on a chalk mural on the stage. Clio/Kira (Kerry Butler) and her sisters come to life from the stage to the same tune. That's about all you need to know... For you diehard Xanadu fans, it will all make sense straight away.

I have to say that both the film and theatre enthusiast in me is very proud of this little effort from our budding filmmaker/performer. I must be proud because I'm willingly sharing our messy media corner with the world... Enjoy!


2 comments:

Kate said...

very cool..you have very talented kids..and I thought your media room is lovely..:)

Esther said...

Wow, that was so sweet! I hope this is the beginning of a lifelong love of theater for your daughters. Thanks for sharing it.