Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloween & Shakespeare


I am a contradiction and I think that is what makes me interesting.

Yesterday was Halloween and, therefore, as a mother and a citizen I went through the obligatory motions. I applied my creative skills to help create a a dead Miss America, a corpse bride and a gladiator. I then piled my brood in a car, took them to a party and accompanied them as they went trick or treating. As I said yesterday on Facebook, I've never been a fan of Halloween. I don't like to dress up, I dislike being scared, I don't have a sweet tooth and I'm not a fan of walking around in the chill of late October asking for treats.

Whenever I say that I don't like Halloween people get this shocked look on their faces. They will often proclaim, "But you're a theatre person!" And I nod, understanding. Most of my friends are REALLY into Halloween. You see? I'm a contradiction.

I was also a Writing major. And I can't stand Shakespeare. Go figure.

This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the awesome costumes that people dream up on Halloween or the important contribution that Shakespeare has made to literature and theatre.

It's just a reminder not to judge a book by its cover. A reminder that the contradiction that lies within could be the source of the best story you've ever heard or the spark of the best conversation that you've ever had.

===============================

No comments: